Space heater causes residential fire

The house shortly after firefighters began extinguishing the fire. (Photo provided by John Barrett)

A space heater set fire to a Westfield home at 14605 Little Eagle Creek Ave. on Nov. 16. Shortly after midnight, an elderly man was watching television and noticed smoke coming from a front room. WFD spokesman John Barrett said he jumped up, made for his alarm panel, and hit the panic button. Smoke detectors blared and he got out of the house.

“Firefighters rushed to the home and found flames busting through first floor windows. They quickly went into action – fighting the blaze with water,” said Barrett. “With the fire almost out, firefighters soon found flames jumping into void spaces. These spaces caused by numerous renovations and older construction made it extremely difficult for firefighters.”

Barrett said the elderly man stayed with neighbors overnight and the American Red Cross is assisting him. The homeowner was treated by paramedics at the scene and released without going to the hospital.

“The damage is estimated at $50,000,” said Barrett. Firefighters from Carmel, Sheridan, Zionsville and Perry Township assisted with the blaze.