Faulty fireplace ignites house fire

Westfield firefighters saved yet another home from disaster March 16 at 55 W. Worman St. The problem started after a woman relit a fire in her fireplace. Shortly after, she noticed smoke billowing out of the fireplace and ran to the neighbor’s house to call 911.

Westfield Fire Dept. Spokesman John Barrett said firefighters arrived shortly after 10 a.m. and saw fire in the first floor and attic.

“They quickly went to work, gaining access to the fire and extinguishing it. It would take about 30 minutes for firefighters to deem the fire under control and let investigators begin their work,” he said.

Westfield firefighters were assisted by fire stations from Sheridan, Carmel and Noblesville. After investigating, officials believe the fire was caused by a malfunctioning fireplace. Estimated damages are $30,000. There were no injuries reported.

“Today’s another story of a family and home saved by the quick efforts of our firefighters,” Barrett said. “But with three chimney fires in the last month, it drives home the need for families to have their chimneys inspected by a professional every year.”

Westfield firefighters recently saved two homes, one on Feb. 28 and one on March 5. Both fires are believed to be accidental and caused a total estimated damage of $45,000.