Child starts fire at Westfield daycare

0
A fire Aug. 8 in the kitchen of Amiguitos Bilingual Preschool Daycare, 203 Jersey St., has caused the closure of the facility. (Submit- ted photo)

A fire Aug. 8 in the kitchen of Amiguitos Bilingual Preschool Daycare, 203 Jersey St., has caused the closure of the facility. (Submit- ted photo)

A Westfield daycare was closed Aug. 8 for cleanup following an accidental fire the night before.

At 5:53 p.m. Aug. 7, the City of Westfield Fire Dept. was called to Amiguitos Bilingual Preschool Daycare, 203 Jersey St., on a fire in the kitchen of a residential structure. Westfield Police Dept. also responded to the call.

A Westfield officer was the first to arrive and confirm evacuation. Fire Chief Joe Lyons said the police officer then used a garden hose to begin extinguishing the fire located on the stove in the kitchen. Westfield firefighters arrived and entered the structure to finish extinguishing the fire which was contained to the kitchen.

“The fire was caused by a child who had turned on the electric stove while a plastic tray from a high chair was laying on top of the stove. The plastic from the tray ignited and spread to the area above and around the stove,” Lyons stated.

The police officer was treated on the scene before being transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. The officer was treated at the hospital and has been released.

Share.

Comments are closed.